Wednesday, January 23, 2013

February Dreams

It is cold. A thin February sun gradually warms
the burgundy Quonset hut. The inhabitants, newly
arrived, have settled in for a winter nap. They lie
nestled, luxuriating in the warmth, while the
howling wind serenades them. They float... filled
with hopes and dreams, drifting on spring promises
and summer visions.

Suddenly, the door is yanked open and cold February
air pours into the hut. The residents are spooning,
still slumbering, when they are unceremoniously
roused and dragged from their cozy nest. They resist -
slipping and sliding, trying to elude the grasping hand
of the anxious gardener, intent on learning the secrets
they hold. Resistance is futile, for this winter-weary
gardener will drag them inside, gleaning knowledge
from their glossy pages... sustenance to feed the spirit
until spring...






February Dreams!


Text & Photos: ©Deb Lambert 2009

8 comments:

bobbie said...

Oh, you are funny!

GardenAuthor said...

You got me - it's good to be gotten, Bobbie! Did you think, for just a moment, that this was a romantic short story? Nope - just a new slant on seed catalogs! Glad you stopped by.

flowergardengirl said...

Love the mail box anticipation shots. I do pour over my catalogs and digest every vegetable seeing if it's going to be the cherished one this year. I saw a few signs of Spring this weekend and am sending warm breezes your way.

GardenAuthor said...

Anna ~ Thanks for the warm breezes! Here's hoping they displace the 40 mile per hour winds of today, with temps about freezing. Good weather for more seed catalog perusal.

Shady Gardener said...

Deb, At least it was nice and warm in there... what with the sunshine! Are you enjoying the catalogs?? ;-)

Are you getting ready for your classes? Want to post your syllabus online?? :-)

GardenAuthor said...

Shady ~ I am enjoying those spring visions, but alas, I have no space to plant anything... except, maybe a few containers.

Sorry - no online syllabuses (just the sidebar class descriptions). Saving those for my "Saturday Sessions" students. If you find yourself in the area, on any given March Saturday, say around 9am, feel free to drop by the garden center and audit my class!

However, I am working diligently on the March 'Corliss Clips' and it's jam-packed with advice and spring "to-do's" - set for March 1 publication on the Corliss blog.

Hope you've got at least a hint of spring on the horizon, out your way!

Shady Gardener said...

Deb - there's a "hint!" Three or four little green plants are peeking out of the ground. I'll be watching! :-)

I'll watch for the Corliss Clips, as well. I'm sure your classes will be great!

Take time for yourself - a cup of tea and a good gardening magazine?

GardenAuthor said...

Shady ~ Nobody's peeking out of our ground, yet! And the weatherman's forecasting snow, starting tomorrow and lasting into Tuesday. Oh boy, am I excited (not!).

The classes are going to be well attended... much higher registration already than the summer and fall series. I'm pushing that newsletter deadline to the max, as I'm too tired to finish it tonight - tomorrow AM, for sure!

Make that a pitcher of diet iced tea with lemon, set me in front of the keyboard and stand back. Maybe reading time comes later?

I'll think of your green sprouts while I'm shoveling snow for the next 3 days.